August 2, 2022
Date Opened: Monday, August 01, 2022, 10:00 AM
Close Date: Sunday, August 14, 2022, 11:59 PM
Salary $62,952.00 – $82,624.00/year
The City of Charlotte is the largest municipality in North Carolina and the 17th largest city in the United States, with a total population of more than 872,498 citizens. A major commerce center, Charlotte hosts several of the nation’s largest banks and technology companies.
Also known as the Queen City, Charlotte is home to the Carolina Panthers, the Charlotte Hornets, and the NASCAR Hall of Fame. We work hard to ensure that the community will be a winning city for everyone – a truly remarkable place to live, work, learn and play. Join us in helping to keep our City thriving, ensuring upward mobility and advancement in the workplace.
The Aviation department is seeking an Economic Affairs Coordinator to provide project-level support and services for the Economic Affairs team at the Charlotte Douglas International Airport. Aligned to Aviation’s Smart Growth principle, this role will participate in efforts to attract, retain and expand commercial land re-uses compatible with aeronautical activities. Facilitates and coordinates activities related to the capital improvement program of commercial development and land reuse identified in the Airport Area Strategic Development Plan (AASDP). Works with internal and external contacts to further CLT’s vision, mission, and goals in relation to the development of Airport property. Manages projects for increasing Airport financial self-sufficiency. This role reports to the Economic Affairs Manager.
Standard office hours apply, however, after-hours meetings, urgent or special situations will require attendance at unusual times
Valid driver’s license with the ability to qualify for and maintain a City driving permit
Certain convictions will disqualify individuals from unescorted access privileges and therefore exclude them from employment.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Assist in the execution of day-to-day tasks to meet the goals identified in the Airport Area Strategic Development Plan (AASDP) and manage specific projects required to implement the AASDP.
2. Manages day-to-day tasks of short- and long-term projects (e.g. one to ten years in duration) involving the development of such entities as industrial and mixed-use facilities, retail, office, hotel, cargo, and other similar projects which may involve existing buildings or vacant parcels to be developed. This can include rezoning, annexation, subdivision, and National Environmental Policy Act documentation processes.
3. Assists in the facilitation of internal partner meetings and strengthening internal coordination between commercial development, planning, property management, and real estate. This includes coordinating the Land Use Working Group and other groups on an as-needed basis.
4. Coordinates day-to-day tasks involved in the ongoing marketing and branding of the Airport’s commercial development project.
5. Coordinates procurement activities related to land development contracts and other professional service contracts.
6. Assists in the development of business cases and proposals, presentations, and other necessary documentation. Coordinates with regional groups to ensure accurate data and statistical information.
7. Coordinates business development and stakeholder engagement activities and operations. This can include invitations, preparation, site set-up/break-down, and other support services needed in engagement exercises.
8. Identify and resolve critical issues affecting the feasibility and success of various economic development tactics.
9. Keep informed of new regulations, pending legislation, and trends in economic development that impact department programs and processes.
10. Perform other duties as required at the discretion of the supervisor
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
Knowledge of the practices and techniques used in the field of program management, airport finance, and business development is required. Knowledge of port and/or intermodal development, commercial and industrial real estate development, logistics, air cargo, customs brokerage, economic development, and/or marketing desirable.
Skills to blend experience with air transportation, economic development, and marketing to create new business opportunities.
Proficiency in using Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Skills to create and deliver professional presentations to a variety of audiences.
Exceptional interpersonal skills.
Ability to develop and manage new programs and activities.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, executive staff, tenants, community partners, the public, and media, and represent the Airport in a positive manner.
Ability to work independently, and demonstrate initiative and self-motivation in a rapidly changing work environment.
Ability to multi-task and participate in a number of projects simultaneously.
Ability to be a self-starter, solution-oriented, and innovative in approach.
Prefer a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in business, economics, marketing, real estate, or a related field. Experience in program coordination is required. Experience at an airport, in commercial services, real estate, or marketing is preferred.
High School Graduate or Equivalent and three years of related work experience
Associate’s Degree with one-year related work experience
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The City’s Background Check Policy requires background checks to be conducted on final internal or external candidate(s) applying for any position with the City of Charlotte. The type of information that will be collected as part of a background check includes, but is not limited to: reference checks, social security verification, education verification, criminal conviction record check, and, if applicable, a credit history check, sex offender registry, and motor vehicle records check.
Background checks must be in compliance with all federal and state statutes, such as the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA). The checks must be consistent with the guidelines set forth by these laws requiring organizations to obtain a candidate’s written authorization before obtaining a criminal background report, motor vehicle records check, or credit report; and to properly store and dispose of information derived from such reports.
Final candidates must pass a pre-employment drug-screening test and physical examination. During the selection process, candidates may be asked to take a skills test, and/or participate in other assessments.
The City of Charlotte is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
HOW TO APPLY
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require reasonable accommodation to apply for a job.
You are welcome to visit the City of Charlotte Human Resources Department lobby where we have workstations available. Our office is located at 700 East 4th Street, Suite 200, Charlotte, NC 28202. Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST), excluding official City holidays.
Anyone seeking accommodation to apply for a job may call (704) 336-2285 for assistance or you may email questions to CityHrJobPostingsNotify@ci.charlotte.nc.us.
The City of Charlotte provides a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
Click here to learn more about the City of Charlotte’s benefits.
The City of Charlotte is a drug and alcohol-free workplace.