August Luncheon Tour of the Innovation Barn
Submitted by Elizabeth Hamilton, Progressive AE
Tuesday, August 10th CREW Charlotte participated in a tour and lunch at Charlotte’s Innovation Barn, 932 Seigle Avenue. After a brief introduction to the principles of Circular Economies Amy Aussiker, of Envision Charlotte, provided a tour of Charlotte’s new circular economy hub.
Members were introduced to:
– Crown Town Compost’s soldier fly facility where food waste fuels new growth cycles.
– How reclaimed aluminum cans are sorted, compacted, and baled for recycling.
– How plastic waste can be recycled into filament for 3d printers and bricks.
– How glass bottles can be pulverized to sand (with demonstration assistance from Scarlett Powell) for use in concrete, landscaping, or for the creation of new glass products.
– A Learning Kitchen where people can learn how to reduce food waste, and use the newest energy-efficient appliances (such as induction cooktops).
– A showroom for Carolina urban Lumber, where furniture made from fallen Charlotte trees start their new use.
– Vertical Aquaponics, and how aquaponic farming of fish coincides with soldier fly larvae and providing fertilizer to grow vegetables.
Members then enjoyed lunch in the RePour Taproom.
For additional information on Envision Charlotte, Circular Charlotte and the Innovation Barn, visit https://envisioncharlotte.com/